We welcome Mr. Danny Acton to join the Doctor365 team of designated consultants. we are delighted to introduce Mr. Danny Acton as our designated Consultant Orthopaedics in Galway .
Mr Danny (JD) Acton has been a consultant Orthopaedic surgeon at Altnagelvin Hospital and the North West Independent hospital for 15 years since 2004.
He graduated from Queen’s University, Belfast in 1991 and is a fellow of the Edinburgh Royal College of Surgeons. He has extensive experience in primary arthroplasty of the hip and knee and soft tissue surgery of the knee. Specific interests include total and partial knee replacement, ligament reconstruction of the knee and patellofemoral instability.
After completing speciality training at St George’s hospital London in 2002 he spent a year on an international fellowship in Sydney, Australia and an arthroplasty fellowship at Musgrave Park Hospital in Belfast focusing on lower limb arthroplasty and soft tissue surgery of the knee.
He is an honorary lecturer with Queens University Belfast and coordinator of medical student teaching at Altnagelvin Hospital.
Currently, he is lead for audit in the orthopaedic department and local representative for the UK National Joint Registry. He is also the principal investigator for a national study into the G7 acetabular component for total hip replacement and an RCT on the management of patella instability.
He remains a keen sportsman with interest in triathlon, CrossFit, football and golf giving him insight into the demands of training and competition.
Mr Acton plans to provide a regular clinic and theatre session at the Galway clinic. Specific focus will be on:
- Primary arthroplasty of the hip and knee
- Cemented and uncemented total hip replacement
- Kinematic total knee replacement
- Unicompartmental knee replacement
- Alternatives to joint replacement – Osteotomy or bracing
- Acute knee sports injuries
- Primary and revision anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with hamstrings or bone-patella tendon-bone grafts
- Arthroscopic meniscectomy and meniscal repair
- Medial patello-femoral ligament reconstruction for recurrent patella dislocation